Saturday, November 27, 2021

November Recommendation: Stripes

 












          
                              My sincerest apologies in not keeping up on my movie reviews I guess Thanksgiving feast really does knock you out or but you’re through the bleeping wall. I guess there comes a time when so much is going on in the world and being over stressed at work I figured there comes a time when you have to put on a movie that can help you turn your brain off from the world. And since we're in the giving thanks mood of the month of November I figured what better way to give thanks to a movie that helps me get through life. The film that gave us a great dynamic duo of Bill Murray and late Harold Ramis. The film I'm referring to is Stripes, one of these over the top comedies that doesn't have a clear logic when it comes to story structure but yet we can still have a great sense of humor when it comes some of the topics that you really can't do in today's society or another way in putting it you honestly can't make this kind of film anymore let’s just say that. So, let’s give thanks and talk about Stripes.
                              Hard-luck cabbie John Winger (Bill Murray) -- directionless after being fired from his job and dumped by his girlfriend -- enlists in the U.S. Army with his close pal, Russell Ziskey (Harold Ramis). After his barely satisfactory performance in basic training, the irreverent Winger emerges as the figurehead for a ragtag band of Army misfits. 
                              A mist of all the story structure and using the same concepts of Caddyshack, Animal House and MeatBalls but I have to say the comedic pair of both Murray and Ramis are always fun to watch especially in moments were they're being interviewed by the Army enlister and are asked the question, if they're homosexuals it’s just pure genius to see these men look at each other like "can't help it must say something sarcastic", and see this film just proves that you really can't make a film like this anymore because you honestly can do that anymore, moreover I doubt the Army ever asks if your Homosexual anymore. A side from the great chemistry of both Bill and Harold, now watching this film again I had no idea both the ladies for both Murray and Ramis were Sean Young whose most famous for Blade Runner and P.J. Soles whose the famous call girl in the original Halloween. Now when it comes to Soles I was glad at least she was getting work plus being remembered for not just one movie role, but Sean Young on the other hand I was completely and utterly surprised she was in this movie until the the credits rolled because I always known her for was Rachel in Blade Runner, but then re-watching some of those scenes she was in she actually does a great job as the leading lady to Ramis character moreover she had a great sense of humor in the film as well, I have to say that the Ramis and Sean Young chemistry I actually liked plus Ramis was just a smooth guy when it came with her, I mean with that big nose he had, I mean there had to be so like smooth love song playing in when it came to their scenes together. The movie itself does have some puzzling moments for me moreover the story is just like Animal House or Caddyshack where the misfit underdogs take on the people that prove them wrong, I will say does get annoying a little bit but thankfully it’s one of those films where I can only watch once. But deep down this is still a good comedy to watch and be thankful of the comedic collaboration of Ramis and Murray duo and the direction of Ivan Reitman, and let’s face it we all should be thankful for these guys at least because without them we wouldn't have Ghostbusters.       

No comments:

Post a Comment