Saturday, September 26, 2020

September Recommendation: Hoosiers












                                   I tried hard to not watch a sports movie because of how miserable of a year 2020 was. Well, my breaking point has reached to defcon 1. But luckily, I found this amazing basketball movie on YouTube for free, and to be honest it was worth seeing after quite some time, the film I'm referring to is Hoosiers staring Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper. Honestly the first time I ever watched this film was on VHS, so technically my childhood years my Mom and Dad use to have these family home movies back in the day and I would constantly watch this film so many times, furthermore this film alone was a reason I wanted to play basketball although after a year of elementary school basketball I realized I don't have the skills to play basketball. But now going back to this well-crafted movie I got to say this was a pleasure to come back and re-watching this exceptional movie from start to finish. Though I must say that this film alone, I myself is suspecting that this, is truly the original basketball version to Friday Night Lights, a side from the fact that the story it was based on was basically Friday Night Lights before we've been exposed to the obsession's Texas Football.
                                 Norman Dale (Gene Hackman) moves to Hickory, Indiana to start a new life moreover escape a troubled past he left behind. Dale's old friend and principal offers him a job to become a head coach of the small-town basketball team where the towns citizen's consider basketball a way of life. Although, towns people don't think Dale's coaching ways are acceptable to their ways, the town and players begin to trust his tactics more in hopes of going all the way. With the help of an old has been drunk who's happened to be the father of one of the players, Dale begins to give the team and town confidence in hopes of going all the way to a State Championship.
                                 Now I'm a sports fan at heart, my father raised me to be a Nebraska Cornhuskers fan and a St. Louis Cardinals fan, though in return I got my Dad into loving the St. Louis Blues. And yet, there are some people out there in the world that really aren't a sports fan furthermore don't quite understand it. For which I truly understand, but the way I see sports no matter what it is I always see it as an escape from everyday life, you have a bad day or feel miserable every time you’re at work. But you have a sense of hope to go home and watch your favorite sport or listen to it on the radio and then you feel better and calm while waiting for the that sporting event. Furthermore, no matter how bad politics are affecting the game you love everyone is still watching no matter how different you are, plus your making friends outside of sports even if they have a different team, and that right there is what makes America great. Okay, so getting back to what I meant the comparison's to Friday Night Lights, in case you all decide to give me dirty looks, what I really mean to say is that Hoosiers is really the original Friday Night Lights before Friday Night Lights became the sensation we all know and love, meaning Indiana is in fact the basketball state of America and Texas we all know is the football state of America so that's my who scenario I see when it comes to Hoosiers. This was actually the first ever Gene Hackman movie I ever been introduced to and deep down I consider this one of his grandest performances even though I haven't seen a lot of his films but this one to me is one of his finest works because it's a great story about a man who did wrong in his life and tries to redeem himself by coaching a team that helps him give a new beginning, and truly I think that's the most simple story you can tell when it comes to a movie like this. Dennis Hopper does a great job playing the has been drunk who is seen potential in the eyes of Gene Hackman's character plus you see a redeeming side to Hopper's character in trying to make amends with his estrange son. So listen, if your reaching a breaking point with this year and believe me I'm at that point as well I would highly recommend this film and also just sit down and watch a sports film if you’re a fan of any sport or not because at the end of the day you'll at least feel better moreover get your mind off of everything that's happening in the miserable screwed up world we live in today.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment