Thursday, July 23, 2020

July Recommendation: Ali









                       



                              I usually don't recommend a Will Smith movie, because well, his movies usually range from meh to my goodness this is terrible. But after stumbling into his portrayal of famous boxer Muhammad Ali moreover directed by Michael Mann, all I can say is intrigued. For a little history lesson to newbs who've never heard of Muhammad Ali he was originally named Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr. he became wildly successful for his full energy cockiness and a activist during the civil rights movement. After beating Sonny Liston to gain the heavyweight champion, he later converted to Islam and renamed himself Muhammad Ali. Though he wasn't given respect he had to fight for it with the Federal Government and the rest of the world to prove that he's the greatest. Even though some consider him controversial I would say of all famous boxers’ out there Ali reigns supreme.
                              The film is set from 1964-1974; basically it chronicles his title over Sonny Liston, converting to Islam and his conflict with the Vietnam War, then his return to boxing and his battle with George Foreman.
                               Now I'll admit I'm usually not interested in a Will Smith movie but this film he actually does a great job embodying Ali and not just playing a Will Smith version of Ali, just like the way Chadwick Boseman embodied the playing style of Jackie Robinson moreover the emotions. Smith does a great job embodying the physicality of Ali furthermore the cockiness he had when preparing a fight. And to be truthful that what you need when playing such iconic sports figures like Ali. Jon Voight does an excellent job playing the legendary broadcaster Howard Cosell, and I was surprised that was him because when I saw his credit I was like so where is Jon Voight I don't see him anywhere furthermore I had to look it up on Wikipedia and realized ooooooohhhhhh, that's who he plays and my goodness that's a great transformation so hat goes off to him in getting into character. I like the fact that Smith's wife Jada is playing Ali's first wife and when it comes to sex scenes she of all actresses in the film is the one to have with her husband, imagine she's going to the writers and saying "look here writer's that there's my hubby anyone whose going have a sex scene with him it's going to be me". The only complaint I have with the movie is that it's a bit choppy at times moreover was a bit to fast when it comes to the flow of the movie especially when we see Ali at the top and he's all of a sudden lost his boxing license. All and all this was a good and entertaining movie from start to finish and worth my recommendation for this month of July so if your in for a sports movie this is definitely worth seeing.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment