Wednesday, March 11, 2020

The Invisible Man










                    I know this sounds very Ron Swanson-ish but when I first saw that they’re going to be another movie about the Invisible Man, I thought to myself "yeah I really don't go for more remakes about the monster movie genre". Unfortunately, when I click on the trailer to watch it and realize that the Invisible Man is an abusive ex-boyfriend my eyes widen and I said to myself "Stop, you had me at abusive ex-boyfriend. And sure, we may have seen this before in other films but defiantly nothing like this, I mean come on a psycho boyfriend stalking you and your invisible, to me that makes perfect sense and if you don't think that's brilliant than there's something wrong with you. I will also go to great lengths to say that this would be a film that Alfred Hitchcock would love if he was still alive.
                    Cecilia Kass (Elizabeth Moss) is somewhat believing that her late, abusive ex-boyfriend is not dead. Though evidence shows that he did kill himself, she still doesn't understand why. Even though it feels good to be rid of him, Cecilia still feels that somebody is stalking her. And yet no one closets to her believes her either. But going to her ex's house she begins to realize that he found a way be invisible. Now with no one backing her story Cecilia takes drastic measure to put a stop to this madness before anyone in her life becomes hurt or killed. 

                     Hands down one of the best films I've seen this new decade, what makes this latest adaption to the Invisible Man amazing is the fact that most people who've experienced abuse in their lives, can understand this kind of fear, furthermore isn't to gimmicky in terms of the visual effects. Leigh Whannell, who a lot of people specifically me have obviously forgotten, co-wrote the very first and only great Saw film, the one where him and Carey Elwes are chained in a store room for the whole movie. Now even I feel bad in not recognizing this man because he deserves tremendous credit for creating in environment where we as an audience can relate to a person whose gone through these abusive experience's moreover creates great suspense moments where there's not a whole lot of music to terrorize the viewer and that's a lesson a lot of horror/suspense films kind of fail at, is not setting up the viewer to be scared when they least expect it, and that's something that Whannell has done a great job at. Even the camera work he does in the movie is excellent because even I was lost in where he was going with some of the jump scares, so huge bonus points for him in setting up those scares. Elisabeth Moss does a tremendous job as well portraying a character who is at first so scared to come out of the house but yet overcomes it at first but soon feels like she gone insane through the course of the film because no one believes her, and she does that in the best possible way she can. For someone got her big break in the Mad Men series I must give her props in holding a movie together despite that show being slow in the first season. A lot of people may be concerned this film maybe to gory with too much blood despite there's only two moments of blood, but I'm going to say that you don't have to worry about that and really think of this film as a movie that Hitchcock would of made into a movie if he was still alive, and that's something that Leigh Whannell did perfectly, was in essence treating it kind of like a film noir, suspenseful movie. Now I'm not going to tell you how to waste your money, but this was an excellent film from start to finish, and hands down one of the best films to start off this new decade so I would not waste time in checking this great film out in theaters. Also, if you found a way to make yourself invisible please try to use your powers for good and don't use your invisible powers for pepping on good looking model's just saying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment