Friday, February 2, 2024

Ten Year Anniversary: Pompeii

 













                                       
                                   Well, we're in the month of February, and strangely of all movies that reminded me of its ten-year existence, upon which is an Ancient Roman version to James Cameron's Titanic but most importantly is on Netflix, I figure well now's the time to talk about the one movie that really has no explanation in terms of plot. Pompeii was one of those movies I remember back in 2014, for which I was literally confused as to why they would make a movie that just basically tells us the entire plot of the film (because if you don't know the story of Pompeii spoilers everyone dies), also I'm defiantly assuming was marketing for Valentines Day love conquers all type movies. Ten years ago, I thought this was one of the worst films I've seen of 2014, and now having watched the movie ten years before its release I may have a different opinion.
                                    In 79 A.D., Pompeii, a bustling port city, stood in the shadow of Mount Vesuvius. Milo (Kit Harrington), a former slave, is a gladiator who has caught the eye of Cassia (Emily Browning), a wealthy merchant's daughter. However, their difference in social status is not the only obstacle to their love; Cassia has been promised to Corvus (Kiefer Sutherland), a corrupt Roman senator. When the eruption of Mount Vesuvius rains lava and ash down on the city, Milo races to save her before it's too late.
                                    In my years of trying to be a sort of movie critic when it comes to my blog I made a point in 2014, to go to every movie that's been released and 2014 was literally my second year in this blog of mine, where I watched every crap that's out there and to be fair this was trying to work more on my writing and through the next three years I was defiantly burned out because just one to many crappy films can affect a man's perspective on life and 2014 without a doubt was the beginning and somewhat the end of me wanting to go to every movie that came out. Anyway getting back to Pompeii, when I first saw the trailer for this, my main reaction was why would the make a movie where everyone dies through the course of the film and why would Kit Harrington aka Jon Snow, when he's clearly having a steady gig with Game of Thrones furthermore doesn't sincerely need to dive into movies like, the man has his entire career ahead of him well, maybe? Considering that he's not getting much work now, but sure the guy was young at the time and when you want to make it into movies you have to make these cliché B-movies that will make profit but won't get you notice I guess what I'm trying to say to all of this madness, is maybe learn how to read or wait on your options. Now getting back to the movie, once I realized that the film was basically combining James Cameron's Titanic and Ridley Scott's Gladiator then I was like "OOOOOOOH", which really when watching this film ten years ago I declared it the worst movie of 2014, but now having watch it, I find it quite amusing especially when Emily Browning is so attracted to Kit Harrington's character every time she sees him and then when we get to where the volcano explodes, everyone is so serious and confident that we have to get to the Harbor or escape the city which they should of added that we're all going to die. Paul W.S. Anderson whose infamous for directing movies like Mortal Kombat (1995), Resident Evil and Alien vs. Predator, directs the films and this was coming off of directing the fourth and fifth Resident Evil films and then he comes to directing this movie but then again this was four or five years ago when Avatar came out and 3D camera's we're becoming the thing and Anderson was clearly doing all of his films during 2010, using nothing but 3D camera's which again 3D camera's we're fine for Avatar but any other films do not work at all and to be truly honest I believe Paul W.S. Anderson ruined 3D movies for which really yeah Cameron should of took all of the 3D camera's away from him and say "NO 3D CAMERA'S FOR YOU". Ten years now I look at this film as kind of decent with some humorous/serious dialogue but then you just get bored especially when this is a PG-13 movie where the violence is completely toned down and the sexual context where Emily Browning is running away from a creepy Kiefer Sutherland who continues to follower her but again Romans were so scum bags that even the dialogue can tell you how big of a molester he was even though he doesn't do anything throughout the movie. I'd say this from the bottom of my heart to not buy this movie and just watch the movie on any streaming service because let's be honest when you're paying a subscription everything movie or show is free, and if you’re that desperate just go to Dollar General and see if they have a copy for three bucks, because that's literally what this movie is worth.  
          

No comments:

Post a Comment