Thursday, June 8, 2023

White Men Can't Jump

 











                                



                                    June officially became one of those months of what the hell should I watch to start off the new month, and it was really a dozy to find that one movie to watch, shamefully I did have one contender to watch, which was Not Another Teen Movie, unfortunately that movie didn't last for a good ten seconds for me which is a new record, when it comes to abandoning movies. And so, it took a while but then I realized the NBA Finals are starting so for which brings us to White Men Can't Jump. Of which is a movie I haven't seen furthermore was one of those films that was on my radar just haven't got around to seeing. Aside from hearing the Bull Durham creator Ron Shelton written and directed this movie I figured why not give this movie a chance he’ll can't be worse than the remake right?
                                   Billy Hoyle (Woody Harrelson) is a white basketball hustler who banks on black players underestimating his skills on the court. When he pulls one over Sidney Deane (Wesley Snipes), his victim sees lucrative opportunity, and they become partners in a con game, plying their trade across the courts of Los Angeles. Meanwhile, Billy must keep one step ahead of mobsters, to whom he owes money, while staying on the good side of his "Jeopardy"-obsessed, motormouth girlfriend (Rosie Perez).
                                   I've seen bits and pieces of this movie and I always kind of looked at this movie as if Magic Johnson and Larry Bird failed at their basketball careers and became hustlers, and really that's the best way to describe the film when you think about it. In terms of Basketball films I've seen over the years this was probably one of the most exciting basketball sequences I've seen in quite a long time, moreover it really does an exceptional job when it comes to actors really showing off the basketball skills, in fact Bob Lanier who was a real life NBA player was hired on a basketball coach for the actors in the film, Lanier was so impressed with Harrelson and Snipes Basketball skills, he suggested both men to reach a Division II college basketball level, he even said that between the two men Harrelson was the better player. In terms of the actors that we're playing basketball hustlers were actual NBA players too, although some of them were just regular NBA stars, superstar Gary Payton was in the movie too, though the problem was he was uncredited, and I couldn't find him through the course of the film. When it comes to a regular Ron Shelton sports film I've seen, it's mostly a mild-mannered film of nothing special it's just everyday men making not so smart choices and having to live through the consequences, the only differences Harrelson just can't stop gambling his money and can't stop getting his girlfriends angry. Which again is just like Bull Durham where they're some great iconic one-liners some impressive athletic abilities but wasn't all special just an average decent film from start to finish. Moreover, I thought via watching the trailer of the film it seems decent thought out in terms of storyline though through the course of the film I was just oh WTF it's still going I thought we'd be over by now. Both Harrelson and Snipes do a great job playing hustlers that know they can't trust one another but then through the course of the film become the ultimate bros, although I’m not a big fan of Rosie Perez in terms of movies she was in, but I really thought she was fine, through the course of the movie hell, by the end of the movie I kept saying to myself Harrelson you idiot. No doubt the movie was a fun movie from start to finish, kind of like the basketball equivalent to Bull Durham and if you’re a fan of basketball films I would defiantly give this as a must watch.
       
                                           






No comments:

Post a Comment